Point Loma Nazarene University Nursing School Review
Point Loma Nazarene University (PLNU) was founded in1902 and serves more than 3,500 students currently; and at the moment has more than 50 undergraduate programs available for study. They have regional centers in Arcadia, San Diego, and the Inland Empire.
The Point Loma Nazarene University Medical School has an overall acceptance rate of more than 90%. This University is also nationally recognized for its leadership in the area of sustainable development and has been awarded the national championship in the Debate Association.
Undergraduate Bachelor of Science Program (BSN)
The application for Undergraduate Program at PLNU will be available on December 1 of each year and will meet its deadline on February 1. All of the students are only admitted to nursing and pre-nursing annually in the fall. LVNs and RNs licensed in the State of California are accepted into the program with advanced standing based on transfer of credit and credit-by-examination. The students will need 4 years to complete the program if prerequisites are completed in one year, and 5 years to complete the program if prerequisites are completed in two years. The BSN program of the PLNU has some features of the following:
- The PHN (Public Health Nurse) certification will be available when the student completed the degree and obtains RN licensure.
- International Nursing: Cross-cultural experiences for either seniors or juniors are available on off campus.
- Health Promotion Center: The students will gain much experience while helping others at PLNU’s free clinic.
BSN Program Admission Requirements
The students will be eligible for PLNU Nursing program when they are meets the following:
- Acceptance to PLNU as pre-nursing major.
- Submission of a School of Nursing application for the nursing program.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.70 or higher.
- Completion of the following prerequisites with a minimum grade of 2.0 in each one :
- Organic Chemistry
- Human Physiology and Anatomy
- General Human Psychology
- Algebra at College Level
- Human Development
- Transfer students must have completed all prerequisite courses completed when they apply to this BSN program.
All of the students must have evidence that they are physically and emotionally have an ability to perform required duties. And per the agreement with the SDNSEC (San Diego Nursing Service Education Consortium) and their affiliated network of hospitals, the students will be required to take a mandatory background check as well as a thorough drug screening test.
Master of Science in Nursing Degree (MSN)
The graduated students of the PLNU’s nursing programs have some nursing professional options of the following:
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) course options within mental health, family health, and medical or surgery.
- Post-MSN degree certificates for nurse educator and also CNS.
This University has a couple of offers in the Master of Science in Nursing Degree (MSN) which in the following:
- MSN focusing on Nursing Education
- MSN with CNS (Clinical Nurse Specialist) areas that include: Mental Health, Family Health, Gerontology, Medical/Surgical
- Post-MSN for Nurse Educators Certification
- Post-MSN CNS Certification (Clinical Nurse Specialists)
Point Loma Nazarene University
Point Loma campus
3900 Lomaland Drive
San Diego, CA 92106-2810
Tel: (619) 849-2200
Fax (619) 849-2579