Norwalk Community College Nursing Program Review

Established in 1961, Norwalk Community College (NCC) was the first two-year, public college in Connecticut. There are 6500 students enrolled, and NCC offers nearly 1000 different credit and non-credit courses to choose from.

Nursing Programs

The nursing program at Norwalk Community College is part of the associate degree program available through the Connecticut Community College Nursing Program (CT-CCNP), which is offered at 6 community colleges in Connecticut. The six schools all have the same admissions standards and policies.

Associate in Science Degree in Nursing (ASN)

The nursing program at Norwalk Community College was individually approved by the Connecticut State Board of Examiners for Nursing.

The Nursing Program takes four semesters to complete after taking the prerequisite courses. Students must take 68 credits to graduate, with 30 of these as General Education credits and 38 as Nursing credits.

The Norwalk nursing program prerequisite courses are English with a grade of C or better, as well as Anatomy and Physiology with a grade of C+ or higher. Students must also have taken Math and Chemistry at the high school or college level, must demonstrate computer proficiency, and have taken the TEAS test. Students must also have a 2.75 or better GPA in all prior college courses to be eligible to apply to the program.

To apply to the associate in science nursing degree program, students will submit a standardized online application to CT-CCNP, indicating Norwalk Community College as their first choice of college to attend. The school ranks applicants based on a combination of their TEAS score, GPA, and grade in Anatomy and Physiology. Applicants will then be selected based on rank order for 75% of the open slots. The other 25% of the slots will be filled by random selection. Applicants that aren’t selected for the program will be placed on a waitlist based on their rank, in case there is an opening later.

Norwalk Community College offers lab and clinical courses at various health care facilities in the area.

After graduation, students are eligible to take the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX-RN) to become a Registered Nurse (RN). Graduation from the program does not guarantee an RN license.

Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Advanced Placement

The CT-CCNP follows the LPN Articulation Model of the Connecticut League of Nursing. Currently licensed LPNs that meet all the CT-CCNP admission requirements may apply for articulation.

To enter the third semester of the associate degree program, LPNs must have completed the prerequisite General Education courses of Microbiology, Psychology, Life Span Development, and Sociology with a grade of C or higher, and must take two LPN Transition Bridge courses.

External Transfer Nursing Students

Transfer students that have taken nursing courses at other schools may apply to transfer credit for them to CT-CCNP for advance placement in the associate degree program.

Students must complete the CT-CCNP application for external transfer, as well as a request for credit evaluation. They must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or better o be considered for the program. External transfer students are considered as space is available. To graduate from a CT-CCNP school, students must earn at least 25% of their credits at that school.

Certified Nurses Aide (CNA) Certificate

The CNA Certificate program is a non-credit program at Norwalk Community College. This is a 12 week, 108 hour course, with 36 hours of classroom time and 72 hours of hands on clinical practice. After completing the program, students are awarded state certification allowing them to work in long term care facilities. To register, students must first pass a math, reading and verbal skills test.

Norwalk Community College
188 Richards Avenue
Norwalk, CT 06854

[wpgmza id=”186″]