National American University began in 1941 as the National School of Business to provide specialized business training. Since then, the South Dakota-based university has grown to 11 states and offers programs in the education, healthcare, and legal fields. National American University aims to provide a relevant, real-world education in all academic fields, which is why faculty have real-world experience in their taught field. National American University-Watertown has been serving students since 2006 and is one of the university’s fastest-growing locations.
Overview of Programs, Certificates, and Degrees
- 1 online bachelor’s and master’s degree offered
- Additional associate’s, bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are campus-based
Online Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
National American University offers an RN to BSN online option, which allows students to complete advanced education opening the door for career opportunities in research, management, leadership, and teaching. Admission to the BSN program requires a 2.8 GPA, associate’s degree, and nursing license. The program offers a foundational education for nurses pursuing a BSN for increased education and career opportunities or as a stepping stone to an advanced degree. Learning outcomes of the program as defined by National American University include the ability to:
- Synthesize interdisciplinary knowledge to take a holistic approach to nursing
- Apply theoretical concepts and critical thinking skills in practice and unpredictable contexts
- Evaluate and implement relevant research findings
- Demonstrate professional and ethical conduct
- Commit to staying abreast of shifting trends through continuing education
Duration and Cost
The program tuition is approximately $66,810.00 and requires 186.5 credits to complete.
Online Master’s Degree in Nursing (MSN)
The online Master’s of Science in Nursing program is specialized with an emphasis in nursing education. Students further specialize their program by choosing select areas of interest to focus their study. The goal is to prepare nurses for globally-minded education and leadership roles in a variety of settings. Students take a variety of courses including “Theories in a Global World, Research, Online Nursing Education, Simulation Nursing Education, and a Nursing Capstone Project and Practicum.”
Duration and Cost
The program tuition is approximately $20,000 and requires approximately 30 credits to complete.
Most faculty at National American University hold advanced degrees (except for one which holds a BSN). Their academic and research interests are broad including end-of-life issues, medical surgery, maternal care, and active learning and simulation.
Things to consider:
- Verify that the program is available in your state, as the degree programs are not approved in all states
- Not currently accredited by a nursing body, but the decision is forthcoming
- MSN nursing program only allows 3 courses to be transferred in (Theories in a Global World, Ethics and Leadership)
National American University’s bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in nursing have received new applicant status by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and are in the process of being considered for full accreditation.
National American University- Watertown
925 29th St. S.E.
Watertown, SD 57201