Gateway Community College CT Nursing Program Review

Gateway Community College (GWCC) has been educating students in the New Haven area for over 40 years. With over 14,000 students enrolled each year, it is the second largest community college in the state. Gateway students have the benefit of a brand new, 360,000 square foot campus in a thriving community.

Nursing Programs

The nursing program at Gateway Community College is a component of the associate degree program available through the Connecticut Community College Nursing Program (CT-CCNP). The CT-CCNP is offered at 6 community colleges in Connecticut. The six schools all have the same admissions standards and policies.

Associate of Science Degree in Nursing

The nursing program at Gateway was individually approved by the Connecticut State Board of Examiners for Nursing.

The Nursing Program takes four semesters to complete after taking the prerequisite courses. Students must take 68 credits to graduate, including 30 General Education credits and 38 Nursing credits.

The prerequisite courses for the Gateway nursing program are English with a grade of C or better, as well as Anatomy and Physiology with a grade of C+ or higher. Students must also have taken Math and Chemistry at the high school level or the college equivalent, have demonstrated computer proficiency, and have taken the TEAS test. Students must also have a 2.75 or better GPA in all prior college courses.

To apply, students will submit a common online application to CT-CCNP, listing Gateway Community College as their first choice of college to attend. The school will rank students based on a combination of their TEAS score, GPA and grade in Anatomy and Physiology, and select 75% of the positions based on rank order. The other 25% of the slots will be filled by random selection. Applicants that aren’t selected will be placed on a waitlist based on their rank, in case there is an opening.

Gateway Community College offers evening nursing classes for students. Required lab and clinical courses are offered days, evenings, and weekends. Students will spend their clinical hours at various health care facilities either in the Greater New Haven area, or in the state of Connecticut.

After graduation, students are allowed to sit for the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX-RN) to become a Registered Nurse (RN).

Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Advanced Placement

The CT-CCNP follows the LPN Articulation Model of the Connecticut League of Nursing. LPNs that are currently licensed and meet all the CT-CCNP admission requirements may apply for articulation.

To enter the third semester of the associate degree program, LPNs must have completed the prerequisite General Education courses of Microbiology, Psychology, Life Span Development, and Sociology with a grade of C or higher, and must take two LPN Transition Bridge courses.

External Transfer Nursing Students

Students that have taken nursing courses elsewhere may apply to transfer credit for them to CT-CCNP for advance placement in the associate degree program.

Students must complete the CT-CCNP application for external transfer, as well as a request for credit evaluation. To be considered, they must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or better. External transfers are considered as space is available. To graduate from Gateway Community College, students must earn at least 25% of their credit there.

Gateway Community College
Long Wharf Campus
60 Sargent Drive
New Haven, CT 06511

[wpgmza id=”189″]