Capital Community College Nursing Program Review

Capital Community College (CCC) was formed when Greater Hartford Community College and Hartford State Technical College merged in 1992. CCC is a two year urban college that currently enrolls over 4500 students each semester. Over 85% of the students enrolled are in degree or certificate programs. CCC has one of the most ethnically diverse student populations in New England.

Nursing Programs

The nursing program at Capital Community College is part of the associate degree program available through the Connecticut Community College Nursing Program (CT-CCNP), which is offered at 6 community colleges in Connecticut. The programs all have the same admissions standards and policies.

Associate of Science Degree in Nursing

The nursing program at CCC was individually approved by the Connecticut State Board of Examiners for Nursing.

The Nursing Program is four semesters in length, after completing the prerequisite courses. Students must take 68 credits to graduate, including 30 General Education credits and 38 Nursing credits.

The prerequisites for the program are English with a grade of C or better, as well as Anatomy and Physiology with a grade of C+ or higher. Students must also have Math and Chemistry at the high school level or the college equivalent, demonstrate computer proficiency, and have taken the TEAS test. Students must have a 2.75 or better GPA in all prior college courses.

To apply, students submit a common online application to CT-CCNP, and indicate Capital Community College as their college of first choice to attend. The school will select 75% of the students in the program based on their TEAS score, GPA, and grade in Anatomy and Physiology. The other 25% of the slots will be filled by random selection. Applicants that aren’t selected will be placed on a waitlist based on their rank, in case there is an opening.

After graduation, students are allowed to sit for the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX-RN) to become a Registered Nurse (RN).

Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Advanced Placement

The CT-CCNP follows the LPN Articulation Model of the Connecticut League of Nursing. LPNs that hold a current license and meet all the CT-CCNP admission requirements may apply for articulation.

To enter the third semester of the associate degree program, LPNs must have completed the General Education requirements of Microbiology, Psychology, Life Span Development, and Sociology with a grade of C or higher, and must complete two LPN Transition Bridge courses.

External Transfer Nursing Students

Students that have taken one or more nursing courses elsewhere may apply to transfer them CT-CCNP for advance placement in the associate degree program.

Students must complete the CT-CCNP application for external transfer, as well as a request for credit evaluation. To be considered, they must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or better. External transfers are considered when space is available. To graduate from Capital Community College, students must earn at least 25% of their credit hours there.

Continuing Education

Continuing education for nurses and other health care professionals is offered at Capital Community College’s Health Professions Institute. Some of the courses offered are Nurse Aide Certification, Certificate CNA Refresher, Patient Care Technician, Personal Care Attendant Training Program, and Nurse Re-Entry.

Capital Community College
950 Main Street
Hartford CT 06103

[wpgmza id=”192″]