California State University Bakersfield (CSUB, CSU Bakersfield or Cal State Bakersfield) is part of the California State University (CSU) system. It opened its doors to students in 1970 and since then has grown tremendously in various areas. It currently offers 31 undergraduate degree programs, 17 graduate degree programs and seven credential programs in education.
The university has a Department of Nursing that offers RN to BSN and BSN to students. The BSN program is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) and accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) Accreditation. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) graduate degree program is currently withdrawn due to voluntary closure of the program. It is undergoing a review process.
RN to BSN Completion Program (Post-Licensure)
This is an online program that allows registered nurses to complete their Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN). Applications are accepted once per year and the course lasts 12 months. The school uses an impacted approval system in which applicants are ranked according to their performance. During the program, all students must complete a predetermined number of hours at Kern County Department of Public Health as part of the course requirements.
Pre-Licensure BSN Program
Students with no previous background in nursing can apply to this program. It opens the door of pre-licensure for them. Before they enter the nursing program, they must take the pre-nursing program and pass all the educational requirements at that phase. When they have successfully accomplished this, they are then eligible to enter the nursing program provided their supplemental application is accepted.
The course can be completed in 3 academic years. After this period, students are awarded a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing and are eligible to sit the Board of Registered Nursing to sit for the NCLEX (RN licensure exam) provided they have no pending issues.
Students that need to finance their studies can do so through scholarships, loans and grants offered at the university.
The university does not openly disclose the scholarships that are available. To be considered for scholarships students must register with the Scholarship Tracking and Review System (STARS online). Once the registration and the opening questionnaire are completed along with any other requested information, they will receive a list of “Recommended Scholarships” at the end of the application process.
1) Pell Grants- For first time students and those with a teach credential.
2) Academic Competiveness Grant: For undergraduate students that are in the second year of studies.
3) Education Opportunity Program (EOP) Grant: Available to students that demonstrate financial need. They must be first-time undergraduate and admitted to the EOP program.
4) Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG): Open to full-time undergraduate students that are in dire need of financial assistance.
5) Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Grant: Only students that can demonstrate that they are at least on quarter American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut are eligible to apply.
6) Cal Grants: Available to students from California that are undergraduates at the university.
7) Chafee Foster Youth Grant: Available to first time undergraduate students that can demonstrate that they were or are foster youths.
8) CSU Graduate Equity Fellowship Program: Students that are interested in doing their doctorate, but are financially challenged are welcome to apply. They must demonstrate that they are economically disadvantaged.
9) State University Grant (SUG): Available to eligible students that are undergraduates, possess teacher credential, or graduate students.
10) Scholarships for Disadvantages Students (SDS) in Nursing: For full-time students that have financial challenges and enrolled at the school of nursing.
11) Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant: For students who lost parent or guardian after September 11, 2011 due to their services in the armed forces. It is also awarded to students that are not eligible for Pell Grant, but comply with the requirements mentioned previously.
1) Federal Direct Student Loan Programs for Students – Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and Graduate PLUS Loans
2) Federal Direct Parent Loans for Undergraduate Student (PLUS)
3) Federal Perkins Loans
4) Federal Nursing Student Loans (NSL)
5) Alternative Loans 6) Emergency Short-Term Loans
California State University-Bakersfield
9001 Stockdale Hwy.