Previously known as Arkadelphia Methodist College which was founded in 1890, the current Henderson State University (HSU) has grown to become the second oldest university in Arkansas. It is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. For its nursing program, it is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and approved by the Arkansas State Board of Nursing.
The courses administered at the university are offered through the five college and schools that comprise its foundation, namely: Ellis College of Arts & Sciences, School of Business, Teachers College, Honors College and Graduate school. The school also offers modern facilities and extensive resources to promote a rich academic life.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) gives students the necessary foundation that allows them to enter graduate school. They are trained throughout the program with hands-on experience and also in clinical settings. The school also endeavors to introduce liberal-arts courses into its curriculum with the intent of grooming students to be astute in all aspects and not just within the concepts of traditional nursing courses. Classes are small to ensure that a more personalized approach is adopted when teaching. The course is a four year professional nursing program and students that have a Nursing Assistant Certification (CNA) can qualify for course waivers where applicable
HSU Nursing Scholarships
The University offers a wide range of institutional scholarships to nursing students that are at different levels in their studies. Among the many options to choose from are:
1) Bea Narracong Scholarship– Available to both junior and senior nursing students at HSU. Special consideration is given to students that are involved in community services or professional activities.
2) Eastern Star Nursing Scholarship– Available to both junior and senior students. The scholarship is open to applicants that Order of Eastern Star and Masonic relationships. Their Grade Point Average (GPA) is also taken into consideration.
3) Ester Black Nursing Scholarship– This scholarship is only for senior nursing students. The selection criterion is based on the students completing one semester as HSU.
4) Evelyn Latimer Scholarship– This scholarship is open to both junior and senior students at the university. To be considered students must be playing an active part of the HSU Student Nurses Association.
5) Mary Taylor Nursing Scholarship– The scholarship is only open to junior students. It was established to award students that are interested in the school’s nursing course, but have completed courses unrelated to nursing.
6) Molly Wilson Nursing Scholarship– This scholarship is open to both junior and senior students. It is open to students with children or those that have engaged or are active in military services.
External Nursing Scholarships
1) Martha Harding Gann Memorial Scholarship– Open to senior students or juniors that are near to become seniors.
2) Arkansas Nurses Foundation– Awarded to registered nurses who meet the requirements.
3) Arkansas Public Health Association– Awarded to full-time students that are enrolled in the nursing program.
4) Baptist Health Medical Center Arkadelphia-Awarded to those that undertake work responsibilities during the course and agree to post graduation employment.
5) Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA)-Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or national. They must also be enrolled full-time or part-time at an accredited institution.
6) Little Rock Black Nurses Association of Arkansas-Open to RN and LPN students.
7) National Park Medical Center Scholarships– Awarded to those that undertake work responsibilities during the course and agree to post graduation employment. Preference given to upperclassman.
8) Navy Nurse Corps Program-Students must be under 30-years old and be enrolled as a junior or senior.
9) Programs in Psychiatric Nursing (PIPN)- Must be enrolled in a NLN Accredited School of Nursing. Preference given to employees of the PIPN affiliated hospitals.
10) Saint Joseph’s Regional Health Center- Awarded to those that undertake work responsibilities during the course and agree to post graduation employment. Preference given to upperclassman.
11) Share Foundation
12) Uams Nursing StudenT Program
Henderson State University
1100 Henderson Street,
Arkadelphia, Arkansas 71999